Not really much of a story behind this one, Raymond’s mum asked me to make another Orange cake after tasting my Chocolate Orange Ring, plus when I actually made the other cake I could only find a huge bag of oranges, most of them are still sitting in the fruit bowl.. How long do oranges last anyway? I have had them about 4 weeks and they seem fine. So if you have some left over oranges or if your lucky enough to have a Orange Tree in your yard here is a great light cake which is great with either custard or Ice cream.
**Adapted from Recipe from Baked and Delicious**
- 175g of unsalted butter – Softened
- 175g of Golden Caster Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 125g of Self Raising Flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 50g of ground almonds
- 2 Large Oranges (Very thinly sliced)
- Juice of one Small Orange
- 2 tbsp of Mixed Peel
- 4 tbsp of Apricot Jam or Marmalade
- 1 deep 20″ Round Cake Tin.
- Electric Mixer
- Beat the sugar and butter together until pale and creamy, add eggs one at a time mixing well after each. You can add some flour between each egg if the mixture starts to curdle. Sieve in the remainder of the flour and baking powder then add the almonds, fold the ingredients together but dont over mix.
- Add the juice of a small orange and the mixed peel and fold in to the batter mix.
- Use oil spray to lightly coat the tin if you are using one, if you use silicone no need to grease. Line the base and sides of the tin with the thinly sliced oranges cut the oranges to fit. You should try and use oranges that dont have too much pith so thinly skinned ones as thick pith will make the overall taste bitter.
- Put the batter into the lined tin and smooth out the top, tap lightly on a hard surface to flatten, ensure the oranges are covered. Bake in a 180°C oven for 30-35 minutes until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 10 mins to cool then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To finish off in a small saucepan heat the jam or marmalade with a few tsp of water and brush over the cake to glaze.
- Christmas 2011 – Chocolate & Orange Marble Ring As I mentioned in my earlier post It was my...
- Chocolate Orange Muffins So I’m what you might call an impulse baker, I...
- Christmas 2011 – Mini Chocolate Layer Cakes Raymond’s family came over for boxing day lunch, I made...
- Christmas 2011 – Coconut & Cherry Loaves As is traditional at Christmas time, tis the season to get fat...
- Birthday Cake – Louis Vuitton Handbag Hello there, now for the final instalment on the series...